Thursday 26 April 2012


Waiting to be heard…

SAURABH SINGH
SHARE  ·   PRINT   ·   T+  
CHAT Laxmi Narayan Tripathi talks about the “Bigg Boss” experience and transgender rights
Voicing out Seema Biswas and Laxmi Narayan Tripathi
Voicing out Seema Biswas and Laxmi Narayan Tripathi
Recently in news for participating in “Bigg Boss” ,Laxmi Narayan Tripathi is a transgender activist of international repute. Laxmi is the only transgender in the UN's Civil Society Task Force on HIV/AIDS.
Having done reality shows such as “Sach Ka Saamna”, “Raaz Pichle Janam Ka”, Laxmi has become the voice of the transgender community.
Excerpts from an interview with the activist.
Why “Bigg Boss”?
I wanted to show the world and Indian society in general that a transgender such as me can live — not merely stay, with so many celebrities, with love and compassion. So, how different is that from living in harmony in a society? Give us love, and we shall give it back to you more.
How was the “Bigg Boss” experience?
Those were some of the best days of my life. Everyone there showered me with love and blessings. Society never gave me so much love, and life was never so good until now. In those 42 days, I had fun, received love, made long-lasting relationships.
How do you plan to take this cause forward?
Well, I have been involved in social work for the last 12 years. I have been fighting for transgender rights for as long as I can remember, and I'll continue to do that. I have a number of organisations that are involved in working for transgenders. Most importantly, I'll stay happy, because I know I am not alone anymore.
What according to you is the reason behind the present state of transgenders in India?
The education system does not accept people such as us. Lack of education leads to lack of employment, and unemployment leads to poverty. Society looks at us in a way as if we are inhuman. We are seen as social stigma.
What about transgender rights in India?
I'm planning to present a petition in Supreme Court on the constitutional rights of transgenders. We must have our rights on paper, and that essentially is the first and the most important step in safeguarding our future.
How different is the scene in India as compared to the West?
Transgenders in the West are treated as an essential part of society, not as ‘abnormal'. Here, we have no opportunities or laws to back us.
SAURABH SINGH

No comments:

Post a Comment